John Mays is beginning his fourteenth year of teaching and first year as Director of Bands at Rockwall High School. Prior to his Rockwall appointment, Mr. Mays taught at Clark High School in Plano ISD, Parkhill Jr. High in Richardson ISD, and Wells Middle School in Spring ISD.
During his tenure at Clark High School, the Wind Ensemble received consistent Sweepstakes Awards in University Interscholastic League competition for Superior Ratings in Marching, Concert Performance and Sight Reading. The Clark Wind Ensemble was awarded “Best in Class” or “Best in Contest” in every festival in which they performed. In 2013, the Clark Wind Ensemble was named National Winner in the National Wind Band Competition in both the 4A division and New Music Division.
Mr. Mays has been recognized as an Honorary Member for the Congressional Youth Leadership Council as well as being honored by the Clark High School PTA with the Life Membership Award. In 2013, Mr. Mays was nominated for Teacher of the Year.
Mr. Mays holds professional affiliations with the Texas Music Educators Association, Texas Bandmaster Association, Texas Music Adjudicators Association and Kappa Kappa Psi Honorary Band Fraternity. Mr. Mays maintains an active schedule as a clinician and adjudicator throughout the state. He holds a Bachelor of Music Education degree from Texas Tech University.
Please visit the home page of our Orange Wave Band.
BANDS AT RHS:
- Wind Ensemble
- Symphonic Band
- Concert Band
- Color Guard
- Winter Guard
- Drum Line
- Front Ensemble
- Jazz Orchestra
- Jazz Band
- Orange Wave Marching Band
- 2014 – State UIL – Outstanding Soloist Award Winners – Twirler Erica Kuntz, Flutist Julia Kim
- 2014 – State UIL – 16 Gold Medalists
- 2014 – State UIL – 13 Silver Medalists
- 2014 – Outstanding Jazz Band – Collin Jazz Fest
- 2013 – Superior Rating – Region 3 UIL Marching Contest
- 2013 – TMEA All State Symphony Orchestra – Jonathan Phelps – Drums
- 2013 – TMEA Region III All Region Jazz Orchestra – Jonathan Phelps – Drums
- August – November, RHS Football Games
- October 4, Mesquite Memorial Stadium, Mesquite Marching Festival
- October 11, Carrollton, Tournament of Champions Marching Contest
- October 15, Mesquite Memorial Stadium, UIL Marching Contest
- October 25, Mesquite Memorial Stadium, AREA Marching Contest
- November 2,Wilkerson-Sanders Stadium, STATE Marching Band Exhibition
- November 4, San Antonio, STATE Marching Contest
- November 6, American Airlines Center, Performance at Stars Game
- November 22, RHS Pac, All-Regional Jazz Clinic & Concert
- December 6, Rockwall Holiday Parade
- December 11, RHS Pac, Winter Extravaganza Concert
- January 16, HS All-Regional Clinic & Concert
- February 21, RHS, RHS Jazz Dinner & Dance
- May 20, RHS, RHS Spring Concert
- May 21, RHS , RHS Jazz Band Concert