Meet Director Chris Kosterman
Chris Kosterman is Director of Bands at Rockwall High School. Prior to coming to RHS he was the Associate Director of Bands at Rockwall Heath High School & Assistant Band Director at Cain Middle School. While at Heath, Kosterman taught the first-ever AP Music Theory class. He also took the band to New York City to play at Carnegie Hall. In 2005, Mr. Kosterman was the inaugural conductor of the Greater Rockwall Philharmonic for Music Fest. He graduated from Texas A&M University-Commerce in 1981 with a Bachelor of Music Education degree and in 1996 with a Master of Music degree. While at TAMU Commerce, he served as the Graduate Assistant Band Director. Mr. Kosterman is a member of the Texas Music Educators Association, the Texas Bandmasters Association, and Texas Music Adjudicators Association. He resides in Rockwall with his wife, Colleen, who teaches fifth grade at Howard Dobbs Elementary School. They have two sons, James and Rod, both graduates of Rockwall High School. James is a software development consultant at Teknion Data Solutions in Irving, Rod is a graduate student studying percussion performance at Indiana University in Bloomington.
Kosterman’s bands have consistently earned UIL Sweepstakes and superior ratings at numerous contests and festivals; including 1st place at the TMEA Region 3 and Area C Honor Band contest & 6th place in the State Finals. and the Choice National Wind Band Honors, National Winner for Class 4A. Kosterman presented “Non-Varsity Bands, Building Players Through Great Performances” at TMEA in 2010. He co-presented “Using Technology to Assess and Motivate, Techniques for the High School and Middle School Band Program” in 2009 and “The Key to Being a Great Assistant Band Director” at TBA in 2008. Kosterman’s article “Unlock Their Potential” was published in the May 2011 issue of the Southwestern Musician, a TMEA journal.
Please visit the home page of our Orange Wave Band.
BANDS AT RHS:
- Wind Ensemble
- Symphonic Band
- Concert Band
- Color Guard
- Winter Guard
- Drum Line
- Front Ensemble
- Jazz Orchestra
- Jazz Band
- Orange Wave Marching Band
- 2013 – Superior Rating – Region 3 UIL Marching Contest
- 2013 – TMEA All State Symphony Orchestra – Jonathan Phelps – Drums
- 2013 – TMEA Region III All Region Jazz Orchestra – Jonathan Phelps – Drums
- October 5 – Mesquite Marching Festival
- October 12 – UIL Marching Contest
- October 28 – Rain Date UIL Marching Contest
All Region Dates:
- October 9 - Region Jazz Auditions (Jazz Band)
- October 17 – All-State Jazz Taping (Jazz Band)
- November 16 – 9th Grade All Region Auditions at RHHS
- November 21, 23 – All Region Jazz Clinic & Concert
- December 7 – HS All Region Auditions Phase 1
- December 9 – HS All Region Auditions Phase 2
- January 11 – Area Band Auditions
- January 23, 24 – HS All Region Clinic & Concert
- December 7 – Christmas Parade, 9:00 A.M.
- December 12 – Symphonic Chorus Holiday Extravaganza
- February 8 – Solo/Ensemble Contest at Mesquite HS
- February 18 – RHS/WMS Side by Side Concer,t 7:00 P.M.
- February 20 – RHS/UMS Side by Side Concert, 7:00 P.M.
- February 22 – Jazz Dinner and Dance
- February 25 – Mid-Winter Concert, 7:00 p.m.
- April 7 – Pre-UIL Concert, 7:00 P.M.
- April 15-17 – UIL Concert/Sight Reading Contest
- May 8 – Spring Concert, PAC, 7:00 P.M.
- May 9 – Jazz Concert, PAC, 7:00 P.M.
- May 26 – Texas State Solo/Ensemble Contest