Rochell Elementary History
RISD’s second elementary school opened its doors for the first time in 1980. The school was expanded in 1984 and updated in 1999. In the summer of 2005, a new wing with 11 inspired classrooms was added to the facility. This enabled the classrooms housed in portables to be located in the permanent structure.
Amanda Rochell was born in 1896 to a pioneer Rockwall family. She is remembered as someone who prompted the cultural and educational development of young people in the community as a teacher and philanthropist. Her Daughter, Elizabeth Rochell Cameron, and son-in-law, Raymond Cameron, donated the land for the school.