School Health Advisory Council (SHAC)
A School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) is a group appointed by the school district to serve at the district level. Members of the SHAC come from different areas of the community and from within the school district. The majority of members must be parents who are not employed by the district. Texas law (Texas Education Code, Title 2, Subtitle F, Chapter 28, Subchapter A, §28.004) requires the establishment of a SHAC for every school district. SHACs are required to meet at least four times each year.
SHACs assist the districts in ensuring that local community values are reflected in health education instruction. Additionally, SHACs can help districts meet performance goals and alleviate financial constraints. SHACs play an important role in strengthening the connection between health and learning. They can help parents and community stakeholders reinforce the knowledge and skills children need to stay healthy for a lifetime.
RISD SHAC Statements:
Vision: We envision a future where healthy lifestyle, knowledge, and practices are integrated throughout the community for students and their families to achieve their highest potential (success).
Mission: To promote healthy lifestyle choices and to create a climate of wellness for all staff, children and their families in the RISD community.
- To show compassion towards and to be sensitive to the needs of each child
- To empower families
- To maintain appropriate partnerships
- To provide health education for the mind and body
- To communicate through innovative means and use multi-lingual strategies
- To embrace the values of our community
2017-18 SHAC Meetings
September 13, 2017 at 5:30 p.m., RISD Admin Building, Room #802
November 8, 2017 at 5:30 p.m., RISD Admin Building, Room #802
January 10, 2018 at 5:30 p.m., RISD Admin Building, Room #802
March 7, 2018 at 5:30 p.m., RISD Admin Building, Room #802
April 11, 2018 at 5:30 p.m., RISD Admin Building, Room #802
2016-17 SHAC Meeting Minutes
- September 16, 2016 SHAC Minutes
- November 9, 2016 SHAC Minutes
- February 1, 2017 SHAC Minutes
- March 8, 2017 SHAC Minutes
- April 19, 2017 SHAC Minutes
2017-18 SHAC Meeting Minutes:
- September 13, 2017 SHAC Minutes
- November 8, 2017 SHAC Minutes
- January 10, 2018 SHAC Minutes
- March 7, 2018 SHAC Minutes
If you are interested in attending a meeting or joining the SHAC, please contact Laurin DeStefano, Physical Education Health & Wellness Coordinator.