The men and women who serve in the armed forces are among our most valued assets as a nation. Rockwall ISD recognizes the challenges facing military families as they transition to a new home and school district. In an effort to enforce Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children and make the transition easier, Rockwall ISD is committed to removing barriers to educational success imposed on children of military families because of frequent moves and deployment of their parents by:
- Completing timely enrollment despite delay in receiving records and variants in age requirements
- Establishing class placement
- Allowing participation in extracurricular academic, athletic, and social activities
- Facilitating the qualification and eligibility for enrollment, educational programs, and on-time graduation
- Promoting flexibility and cooperation between the educational system, parents, and the student in order to achieve educational success for the student
- Allowing up to 5 excused absences surrounding deployment
In order to be eligible, parents must be one of the following and notify registrar at home campus of military status:
- Active duty members of the “uniformed services” defined as: the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard as well as the Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and Public Health Services. It also includes members of the National Guard and Reserve on active duty orders.
- Members or veterans of the uniformed services who are severely injured and medically discharged or retired for a period of one (1) year after medical discharge or retirement.
- Members of the uniformed services who die on active duty as a result of injuries sustained on active duty for a period of one (1) year after death.