Free Qualifying Pre-Kindergarten
To be eligible for Rockwall ISD free prekindergarten class, a child must be at least four years of age as of September 1 of the current school year, live within Rockwall ISD attendance zone and meet at least one of the following eligibility requirements:
- is unable to speak and comprehend the English language; or
- is educationally disadvantaged (which means a student eligible to participate in the
national free or reduced-price lunch program... guidelines can be found here); or
- is homeless, or
- is the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority; or
- is the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty; or
- is or ever has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (foster care) following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code; or
- is the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as: a peace officer under Section 3106.002, Government Code; a firefighter under Section 3106.003, Government Code; or an emergency medical first responder under Section 3106.004, Government Code.
Once enrolled in RISD’s Prekindergarten programs, students must comply with RISD’s procedures/policies related to attendance.
Hours for Free Qualifying Prekindergarten
Free Qualifying Prekindergarten is FULL Day only. It has the same hours as the Kinder-6th grade, please check with your campus for start times. All elementary doors open at 7:15 for early arrival and dismiss at 3:00 PM.
Locations for Free Qualifying Prekindergarten
2018-2019: Cullins-Lake Pointe, *Dobbs, *Jones, Linda Lyon, Rochell, Springer and Stevenson.
*Bilingual Free Qualifying PreK only. Head Start is also located at Dobbs.
Enrollment Information for Free Qualifying Prekindergarten
Enrollment is ongoing for our Free Qualifying Prekindergarten programs. Students must be 4 years old by September 1 of the current school year AND live in Rockwall ISD attendance zone. Register your new student here for this current school year.
Enrollment for the next school year will open in April on the district webpage – New Student tab.
Transportation is provided free to our students that qualify for our Free Qualifying Prekindergarten program. To learn more about bus routes click here or call 972-771-1948.
The ROCK Program is an after school program that operates on all RISD’s Elementary Campuses and provides after-school care 3:00-6:00 PM for an additional charge. This program is not free and does not have mandatory attendance requirements. To learn more about the ROCK program please visit their webpage.
Free Lunch and Breakfast
All of our prekindergarten students receive free breakfast and lunch. To learn more about Child Nutrition click here.