Superintendent Dr. John Villarreal
Dr. John Villarreal has led Rockwall ISD, a high-performing school district, as Superintendent of Schools since 2016. He has leadership experiences as a teacher, coach, counselor, elementary principal, high school assistant principal, high school principal, assistant superintendent, and superintendent during his 30 years serving public education students.
As part of the outstanding District staff he serves, Rockwall ISD has achieved an “A” district rating for three years from the Texas Education Agency. Under his leadership, the following accomplishments represent a few of the outstanding achievements of our students and staff:
- Rockwall ISD addressed a 14% increase in student enrollment growth and corresponding facility needs with the completion of six new schools, including the Dr. Gene Burton College and Career Academy, Dobbs Elementary (replacement facility), Linda Lyon Elementary, Reinhardt Elementary (replacement facility), Sherry and Paul Hamm Elementary and Lupe Garcia Elementary;
- Rockwall ISD voters approved the 2021 bond supporting four new buildings: two 9th-grade centers, a middle school, Rochell Elementary (replacement facility), and three middle school expansions to accommodate adding sixth-graders, expanding capacity and freeing up space at the elementary schools. The District anticipates more than 22,000 students by the year 2030;
- Rockwall ISD established an advanced math pathway program with approximately 50% of all 5thgraders enrolled in compacted and advanced mathematics;
- Rockwall ISD has increased National Merit Scholarship Program recognized students by 59% since 2016.
- Rockwall ISD's 2022-2023 total tax rate of $1.2146 represents a 21.5-cent decrease over the past five years. The M&O portion of the total tax rate is the lowest rate allowed by the Texas Education Agency to be adopted by Rockwall ISD.
As part of the Team of Eight, the Rockwall ISD School Board and Dr. Villarreal were named a Top Five Honor Board in Texas for governance, fiscal responsibility and academic/extracurricular achievement out of more than 1,200 school districts in 2019.
Dr. Villarreal embodies the Rockwall ISD core values of relationships, innovation, and excellence. He is often on campuses, in professional development sessions, and at Fine Arts and athletic events supporting students, teachers, staff, and families. Community is important to him and he is actively involved in the community through the Rockwall Area Chamber of Commerce, Children's Advocacy Center, and Rotary. Dr. Villarreal also serves in a state leadership role as the Region 10 representative on the Texas Association of School Administrators Executive Committee.
Over his 30-year career in public education, Dr. V. has served students and families in Abilene ISD, Hereford ISD, Temple ISD, Belton ISD, Carroll ISD, and Rockwall ISD. Dr. Villarreal completed four higher education degrees, including a Doctor of Education in Educational Administration from Tarleton State University, a Master of Education in Educational Administration from Tarleton State University, and a Master of Education in Counseling and Human Development at Hardin-Simmons University and a Bachelor of Science from Hardin-Simmons University.