Social studies is an integrated curriculum which increases students' understanding of their role as a citizen in their community, state, nation, and world. Students examine and reflect on the past, make connections to the present, and problem solve for the future. In addition, students acquire and use critical thinking skills to make informed and reasoned decisions for the public good as citizens of a culturally diverse, democratic society in order to thrive in an interdependent world.
The Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) is the foundation of the Rockwall ISD social studies curriculum along with the following guiding principles.
1. Social studies integrates the strands of history, geography, economics, government, citizenship, culture, science-technology-and society, and social studies skills.
2. Social studies equips students to undertand and participate in the world around them.
3. Social studies instruction is relevant and meaningful to students utilizing a variety of learning strategies and experienctial opportunities.
4. Social studies instrucion fosters cultural literacy and produces an educated citizenry.
5. Social studies vertical and horizontal alignment of curriculum, instruction, and assessment eliminate gaps and repetitions in order to deepen student understanding of concepts.
Celebrations and Observances
Women’s Independence Day
National Day of Service and Remembrance
Week of September 17th
Celebrate Freedom Week
September 17 – October 17
Hispanic Heritage Month
American Indian and Alaska Native Heritage Month
Father of Texas Day (in memory of Stephen F. Austin
Bill of Rights Day
Sam Rayburn Day
Martin Luther King’s Birthday
Black History Month
State of Texas Anniversary Remembrance Day
Women’s History Month
Texas Independence Day
Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
Degrees and Certifications:
Advanced Academics/International Baccaureate/Secondary Social Studies Coordinator
972-771-0605 ext. 7040