Welcome to the Marketing Pathway at the Dr. Gene Burton College & Career Academy
Degrees and Certifications:
Bachelor of Business Administration, Marketing Major; Oklahoma Baptist University Master's of Business Administration, Marketing Major; University of North Alabama
Mrs. Dori Brown
Students, I am so excited to have the privilege of working with you, equipping you with valuable career, marketing and technology skills to be successful.
Parents, I truly look forward to teaching and working with your students this year, and believe that all students can achieve great success in my classroom. I wish to form a positive relationship with both you and your student. With all of us working together, we can create the most empowering learning environment for your student.
2023-2024 Course Schedule:
2nd period - Sports & Entertainment Marketing/Social Media Marketing (10th-11th grade only)
3rd period - Sports & Entertainment Marketing/Social Media Marketing (10th-11th grade only)
4th period - Sports & Entertainment Marketing/Social Media Marketing (10th-11th grade only)
5th period - Entrepreneurship (11th-12th grade only)
6th period - Marketing Practicum (12th grade only)
7th period - Marketing Practicum Employer Meetings and Partnership Responsibilities
Tutoring opportunities are available before or after school and can be discussed by student need. Students can request in-person to arrange a time or email Mrs. Brown.
Students will be given access to their respective course via Canvas. A classset of textbooks are used in each Marketing course, but students will also receive online access to this resource in its entirety online. The online resource provides annotation tools, flashcards and more. Class registration codes for our online textbook and coursework will be assigned through Canvas for copyright and content privacy.
Fun Facts about Mrs. Dori Brown:
- Graduate of Poteet High School in 1997; BBA, Marketing Major from Oklahoma Baptist University; Masters in Marketing from University of North Alabama
- Wife and mother of two; one currently attends Cain MS and the other Rockwall-Heath HS
- Family attends and serves at Lakeshore Church in Rockwall
- Nine years of agency and corporate marketing experience before teaching; Continued work and support for various small businesses currently
- Fifteenth year teaching 10th-12th grade in education, Mesquite ISD and Rockwall ISD
- Thirteen CTE Courses Taught: Marketing Practicum I & II, Business Management Practicum, Entrepreneurship, Sports & Entertainment Marketing, Social Media Marketing, Retailing & E-tailing, Audio Video Production I & II, Digital Interactive Media, Digital Arts & Animation, Web Design I & II
- Tenth year as a DECA Advisor; Previous experience with TSA and BPA career technology student organizations (CTSO's). Multiple international-level student winners!
- Chosen as Dr. Gene Burton College & Career Academy "Teacher of the Year" and have received various other RISD employee recognition awards since 2016.
- Motivated by students who are open to learning and taking risks for the sake of developing and improving their personal brand!
"In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer