In Rockwall ISD, our goal is to develop critical and flexible thinkers who apply their understanding of mathematical concepts to solve problems proficiently. Students will engage in making sense of mathematics by developing conceptual and procedural understanding using a variety of tools and strategies. Communication and collaboration are critical components in developing this mathematical understanding, and we believe that by providing students with these experiences and skills, they will be prepared for future college and career endeavors.
Mathematical Proficiency includes
- Understanding: Comprehending mathematical concepts, operations, and relations-knowing what mathematical symbols, diagrams, and procedures mean
- Computing: Carrying out mathematical procedures, such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing numbers, flexibly, accurately, efficiently, and appropriately
- Applying: Being able to formulate problems mathematically and to devise strategies for solving them using concepts and procedures appropriately
- Reasoning: Using logic to explain and justify a solution to a problem or to extend from something known to something not yet known
- Engaging: Seeing mathematics as sensible, useful, and doable - if you work at it - and being able to do the work
National Research Council. (2002). Helping Children Learn Mathematics. pp.8-10
State of Texas Resources for Mathematics
The state has provided standards for mathematics education in Texas. These standards are called the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills or TEKS. All mathematics courses in Rockwall ISD for which TEKS are provided will be aligned to these standards. The TEKS may be found on the TEA Website.
Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS)
Interactive Math Glossary
The state has also provided a tool for parents and teachers called the Interactive Math Glossary. (An app is also available at the Apple Store.)
Each glossary word is displayed in a four quadrant Frayer Model and includes the following:
- My Definition
- Key Characteristics