Rockwall ISD is proud of the instructional, behavioral, and related services provided on each campus. There is close collaboration between the campus level and the district level on overall programming and the needs of specific students with disabilities. Services are provided to eligible children for ages three through twenty-one. For students with visual and auditory disabilities, services may begin at birth.
Rockwall ISD provides specially designed instruction for students with disabilities in a variety of settings or combinations of settings. Our students are diverse, and within disability categories, this diversity continues. Placements are based largely upon curriculum offerings and where these offerings can best be provided.
IDEA and state laws are considered when decisions are made by an ARD Committee about services to individual students, including:
- Decisions are always based upon an evaluation of the student's current level of functioning and the unique needs of the child.
- Whenever possible, the student is served on his/her home campus.
- Students are grouped by educational need.
- The educational setting is not defined by the teacher's role or a class name, but by the student's needs.
- The instructional arrangement is assigned to the student, and special education teachers may provide a variety of services throughout the day.
Most students receive instruction in a variety of settings throughout the day with an emphasis on opportunities to interact with age appropriate non-disabled peers.
These services may be provided to children who qualify for them based on an educational need:
- Physical And Occupational Therapy
- Adapted Physical Education
- Parent Training
- Vision Services
- Assistive Technology
For more information, contact your child’s campus
If you suspect your child has a disability and would like to request an evaluation please refer to the Child Find Page.
Executive Director for Special Programs
Director of Special Education-South
Director of Special Education-North
Director of 504 & Intervention Services
Director of Special Education - Behavior & Adult Transition
Secretary to the Executive Director for Special Programs