Rockwall ISD is committed to providing a safe learning environment for your children, even in unpredictable circumstances. The district implements security protocols at every school and facility and we conduct regular safety and security drills to best prepare our students and staff members for potential emergencies. From weather concerns to potential school security situations, we have a plan in place to keep your children safe.
What We Do
Rockwall ISD follows a standard response protocol for emergency situations, developed for our district and based on nationally-recognized practices. We also partner with local emergency groups and first responders as we continually work to provide safe educational environments for students, staff and visitors to our facilities.
The district has implemented a Emergency Response Protocol for students and staff across the district. The protocol includes five different procedures:
Secure is called when there is a threat or hazard outside of the school building. Students and staff will return to inside the building and conduct business as usual. Exterior doors will be locked and visitors will not be granted access to the school.
Lockdown is called when there is a threat or hazard inside of the school building. Students and staff will move away from sight and maintain silence until first responders open their door. Classroom and building doors will be locked and visitors will not be granted access to the school.
Shelter is called when the need for personal protection is necessary, such as in the case of a tornado or severe weather event.
Evacuate is called to move students and staff from one location to another. We also practice reverse evacuations.
Hold In Your Classroom is called when the hallways need to be kept clear, even during class changes. Students and staff will remain in your classroom and continue to conduct business as usual until an all clear is announced. Teachers will recover students and staff from hallways, close classroom door and take roll to account for students.
A reminder for parents: When emergency protocols are activated, parents should not come to the school. Doors may be locked and staff will be focused on the safety and accountability of all students. Rockwall ISD will communicate to parents with instructions on when and where to pick up students by phone and email.
Daily Safety Measures
The following safety and security measures will be enforced for the 2023-2024 school year:
- All exterior doors shall be closed and locked at all times. Exterior doors shall not be propped open.
- Exterior doors that need to be opened for any period of time will be physically monitored by a staff
member. Staff must remain within four (4) feet of the door and have the ability to secure the door immediately.
- All classroom doors will remain locked at all times.
- No device shall be placed on any door, exterior, or classroom which would interfere with its normal
closing and locking.
- Periodic checks will occur throughout the day by SROs, safety guards, and administrators to ensure
doors are locked.
- Equipment and storage closets, electrical rooms, etc., shall be locked at all times.
- Teachers will not be allowed to share keys that are issued to them, including giving keys to students to unlock a door.
- Any door or door lock that becomes inoperative will immediately be reported to the Facilities
Department and the Director of Safety and Security. Administrators will submit a work order, and
repairs will be a priority for immediate fix.
- Districtwide implementation of the Raptor Emergency Management System.
- Campus mandatory drills will be scheduled before the start of the school year in Raptor Drill Management.
- All visitors will access the building through the front entrance only, sign in through Raptor, and wear
a name badge while on campus. Approved identification will include State issued driver's license or identification card, U.S. Passport or passport card, Non-U.S. Passport or passport card, State-issued Concealed Handgun License, Permanent Resident Card or green card, or a valid military identification card.
- Students shall not open or prop exterior doors to allow others access to the building. Students in
violation will be assigned disciplinary consequences according to the Student Code of Conduct.
- All 7th through 12th-grade students will be required to wear ID badges.
- Headwear, including hats, hoods, bandanas, caps, beanies, and head rags, are not permitted and
must be removed before entering the building. Sunglasses are not to be worn inside the building.
These items are subject to confiscation. Blankets are not permitted in the school building.
- Badges will be worn by all RISD staff while on RISD property during regular school hours.